How Can I Help My Child?
How can I support my child’s French language acquisition?
- attend parent-teacher interviews;
- participate in parent workshops and school council activities;
- encourage your child to complete his/her assignments;
- provide your child with opportunities to practise new skills and apply new learning at home;
- encourage your child to talk, read, and write at home in his/her first language to strengthen their first-language skills which are the foundation for learning French;
- read aloud to your child either in his/her first language or in French;
- encourage your child to write in French (e.g., shopping lists, stories, a letter);
- go to the library with your child to borrow books, music, and DVDs in his/her first language and in French, and talk about them with him/her;
CPF - Canadian Parents for French
Join a local group like Canadian Parents for French to meet other parents and to find out about French resources and cultural opportunities in the community.