Newcomers to Canada
Who are English Language Learners?
English language learners (ELLs) are students whose first language is a language other than English, or is a variety of English that is significantly different from the English used in Ontario schools.
- These students may be Canadian-born, newcomers from other countries or visa/international students studying in Canada
- ELL students are enrolled in schools throughout Clarington, Northumberland and Peterborough from JK to Grade 12
ELL Resource Teachers may:
- Conduct an initial assessment of English language proficiency
- Collaborate with school staff from JK to Grade 12
- Work with teachers to build capacity in programming, instruction, assessment and evaluation
- Provide direct instructional support for beginning ELL students
- Support the school in monitoring ELL students’ progress
Meet your KPR English Language Learners Support Team with this Contact Information:
Additional Resources for KPR staff in support of newcomer families are available in myKPR.
Settlement Workers in Schools Program (SWIS)
- Contact information for SWIS can be found by contacting the New Canadians Centre or by going to: http://www.nccpeterborough.ca/
Language Line Telephone Translation Service
To support students and families who speak languages other than English, KPR is now using the Language Line Telephone translation service. It provides a live interpreter on the telephone to help parents and students communicate effectively with school staff. The service does not need to be pre-booked and is free for schools to use.
Navigating the Community
Ontario schools have some of the most multilingual student populations in the world. Newcomers in Peterborough and area may need help and support to adjust to a new school system and the community.
Settlement Workers in Schools Program (SWIS) is a school based outreach program. For information on the SWIS program, contact the New Canadians Centre or by going to: http://www.nccpeterborough.ca/
Together we can deepen our knowledge and expand our professional practice not only to support these valued students, but to celebrate their presence in our classrooms and enrich the learning experience for all students.
(Many Roots Many Voices, 2005)
Recommended Websites for Newcomer Families
- New Canadians Centre - www.nccpeterborough.ca
- Settlement.org - www.settlement.org
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada - www.cic.gc.ca
- Service Canada - www.servicecanada.ca
- Service Ontario - www.serviceontario.ca
- Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI) - www.inmylanguage.org