Is eLearning Right for You?
While eLearning is not for everyone, there are many students who thrive in this learning environment. To assess if eLearning is right for you, consider the following questions... If you answer "Yes" to many of these questions, then you likely have what it takes to do well in an eLearning course:
- I am independent, self-motivated, and self-directed.
- I have reasonable computer skills.
- I have good organizational skills (e.g., file management on the computer).
- I enjoy being on the computer and using new technologies.
- I do not mind reading content on the computer.
- I typically understand the things I read.
- I communicate well through text.
- I like formulating my thoughts and presenting them in written form.
- I like reading and responding to the thoughts, ideas, and work of others.
- I recognize the importance of following certain “rules” when communicating with classmates and the teacher online (for example, etiquette).
- I am not offended when someone does not share my opinion or point of view.
- I have good inquiry skills meaning I can usually research to find the answers to questions or problems that are presented to me.
- I am a good problem solver... I attempt to work things out for myself before requesting help.
- When I encounter problems, I typically like to deal with them in a timely fashion, as opposed to putting them off or ignoring them.
- I am not hesitant to communicate problems to my teacher or to ask questions.
- I have good time management skills.
- I typically complete tasks in a timely fashion and try do avoid leaving things to the last minute.
- I pay close attention to deadlines and do my best to meet them.
- I have the self-discipline it takes to spend every eLearning period on the computers in my school that have been assigned to eLearning, working on my course.
- I am willing to dedicate as much or more time to my eLearning course as I am to my regular classes.
- I have access to the Internet outside of school.
- I am interested in the subject matter of the eLearning course I would like to do.
Did you answer "Yes" to many of these questions?... If so, eLearning may be an excellent learning environment for you.